Hello Humboldt

Yes. It’s officially been a month since I arrived to my new and fascinating home away from home, Arcata. I’ve been waiting for this. A new beginning, a clean canvas… freedom to be who I want to be. No more superficial relationships with plastic mannequins! Swag.

I’ve never been so comfortable or so sure of my self up until now. I’ve never been this confident. Surrounded by new friends and becoming so close with them in such a short amount of time has never been this easy.

SAM_0615 (2)Local flowers from an Arcata house garden.

Arcata is probably the sweetest town I’ve ever visited. It’s completely supported by the college students and all locally owned businesses. It’s a bit of a walk from my dorm room, but I can’t help exploring my new playground. Especially since there’s fairs and markets on weekends! Ah, I can’t help but buy useless trinkets. I’ll admit it, I’ve become a vintage junkie.

So, apparently I’ve become a bit of a nature child as well. Campus dorms are extremely close to the national forest. My backyard literally is the redwoods. I’ve even picked up a nature name which some people call me by: Peace. It’ll take a bit getting used to, but honestly, I think it’s pretty cool. Rumor has it that Star Wars was filmed in these woods. I believe it. I’m still waiting to see an ewok in the forest…

Weekends are always a surprise, here in Humboldt. But I’ve come to create and live by a few simple standards I feel fit for my weekend excursions.
Rule #1: Never plan. Just do.  
Rule #2: Always bring a flashlight. The forest is alive.
Rule #3: Carry change for the hobo’s… it’s karma.
Rule #4: People watch. I promise you’ll be amused.
Rule #5: Bring a lighter. You’ll make many friends.
Rule #6: Home is where you are. Embrace it.

I’m really trying my hardest to explain to you how bazaar and unique Humboldt county is, but I’m having the hardest time deciding where to start! There’s just too much to tell!

2 comments:

SimplyAndrew said...

Hey Irene, I've just been searching for some interesting blogs and bounced up to yours' :D You seem to be very interesting to a being like me and plus that you listen to Kid Cudi? So, that makes you even better!
I need to go to school now, so if you want to, you can visit my blog. Thank you! Bye :)

Sasha said...

Swag! Love this :) Ahhh makes me want to go to Humboldt so bad! I especially love the rules you made up. Can't wait to visit!