30/30 Hula Hoop Challenge

Growing up, I never owned a hula hoop. Usually, I went to birthday parties or friends houses and played with these mesmerizing circles during games and competitions. I never imagined that I would still be playing with these "toys" at the age of eighteen.

The first time my friend Jessie persuaded me to go to The Healing Circle club meeting with her, I had my doubts. Other than shaking your hips, I was sure there wasn't much else a person could do with a hoop... Boy, was I wrong.

I was completely blown away and slightly intimidated by what I saw.  There were girls hooping around their hips, knees, arms, shoulders, ankles, hands, elbows... everywhere! Some would grab the hoop from their waists while raising it towards the sky, embodying a perfect vortex. Or others would repeatedly drive it into a perfect isolation. The hoop was apart of them and each person had their own technique and style that made it so beautiful to watch.  But I don't think it was until the club leader, Hana, started hooping with her rainbow LED hula hoop that I was completely speechless. Her seemingly effortless artistry with the hoop almost made me cry.  I needed to learn how to hoop.

Needless to say, I'm not a very coordinated person, especially when it involves using every muscle and limb in my whole body. I found it difficult to progress quickly with a standard 36 inch hula hoop. While my friends and idols progressed everyday, my struggles got the best of me; however, I was determined to continue hooping. Luckily (finally) I found my solution. Mini hoops.


It's been about four months since I began hula hooping. It's my anti-drug, my stress reliever, my way of meditation. There hasn't been one day where I've gone without hooping. Dancing with my hoops gives me a chance to let myself go and drift into a total bliss. Hooping has truly been a healed medium within these past few months.

So, for the next 30 days the members of The Healing Circle have been challenged to hoop and share their experiences. Challenge accepted. Happy hooping!

(Yeah, it's been a while since I've posted to my blog, but I'd like to think it's better late than never. ;} )

1 comment:

Sasha said...

Keep on hooping my little hippie!