Say Something: Part II

So, in all honesty, my post from yesterday was… lacking. I barely introduced myself at all. Shame on me. So here’s to Part II:
I was born on June 14, 1993 (currently making me seventeen years of age). Born in the US and a native to California, I am a proud American; however, I also celebrate my Greek roots from both sides of my family. My father was born in Greece and married my mother, a first generation Greek. I have been to Greece twice; once, when I was three, and the last time nearly two summers past. I speak three languages: English, Greek, and French (which I'm still studying).

Sasha, my sister who is older than me by almost two years, is currently attending the University of California, Davis. I am very proud of her, even when we do get into our little tuffs over nothing. She is my best friend, and it has been, to say in the least, difficult for me to get used to the feeling of not seeing her when I wake up.

I am currently a senior in high school, class of 2011. Subjects which I enjoy and excel in include World History and English. I used to be involved in the volleyball team at my school as well as a private club team for over five years, but I found it difficult to balance my studies while competing. Also, the competitiveness of volleyball ruined my love for the sport. Now, I am an avid snowboarder. During the winter months of the year, you can guarantee that I will be on the slopes of the mountains every weekend.

As for my medical condition, I have been a diabetic since March 24, 2004 (That’s six years!). My story of the onset of my condition was surprising and disappointing for me at the time. I was only 11 years of age when I read an article in a magazine about a girl with the condition known as Juvenile Diabetes. Two months later I shared the same symptoms as the girl from the article had so vividly described. I was convinced that I too had diabetes. When I spoke with my mom about the condition that I was in and the symptoms that I was experiencing, she was in disbelief at first. She then reasoned with me that I was over analyzing my symptoms and that I might just be experiencing the after affects of the flu I had the week before. Nearly three days later I had lost over ten pounds and could barely keep from urinating every five minutes. When I was admitted into the hospital, I was finally diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes, with a blood glucose reading of over 900 (a normal blood glucose reading is 85).

Diabetes is a condition I have learned to accept and one that I will probably have to live with the rest of my life. When I was first going through treatment, the doctors continuously told me that I would be a normal child who lived a normal life; but I feel that I am far from normal. Diabetes has changed me as a person which I am incredibly grateful for. I do not use my condition as a crutch like others. No. I use it as my motivation to pursue my life goal of finding the cure. Maybe Diabetes won’t be cured in my lifetime, but eventually someone will discover it.

Since being Greek, it would only make sense that the religion I practice is Greek Orthodoxy. I believe God exists and he watches each and every one of us, dispersing his love and wisdom to mankind. He has given me the greatest gift, to live my life and learn from the experiences and perspectives of those around me.

I hope this information about myself isn't too overwhelming.
And for those of you who are new to my blog, thank you for following me along on my journey!

No comments: